A Case for Custom
I’ve been building custom desktop computers since before opening up Heida Computers in 2004. Believe it or not, some of those pre-Heida Computers systems are still in use. That is a long time!
I wish I could guarantee that all of our systems would last 12 years, but I can’t. What I can guarantee, though, is that a custom-built computer is generally a much better investment than an off-the-shelf brand name computer.
I realize there is a comfort in buying a name brand. It isn’t just computers, but really anything. I know when I go to the store and see a generic plastic bag I’d prefer to get the Ziploc brand.
So what is the difference between everyday items verses a computer? Why are custom-built computers generally better than name-brand? There are actually several differences between a name-brand and a high quality custom-built computer. Here are the main points. A name brand computer is built on the assembly line. The components are purchased in bulk and those parts are generally tested by testing only a few from the bulk purchase, and if a certain percentage pass, they all pass. Usually their cost savings aren’t only in their bulk purchases but also in choosing cheaper parts. The interesting thing is their markup is actually pretty high, sometimes even double the parts cost, even though the price to the consumer may seem pretty reasonable.
Contrast that with one of our custom built-systems.
- We buy each part specifically when the computer is ordered. We have the part in the following day.
- We assemble and test the entire system. If anything isn’t working properly we immediately replace it and test again.
- We use high quality parts, not cheap motherboards and hard drives that are commonly used.
- We do not use cheap parts even on our lowest cost computer because we feel like our reputation is too valuable to just make a quick buck.
- To stay competitive, our markup is not nearly as high as a name brand, yet we know that apples-to-apples, we have a better price than most everyone we check.
Because of the quality of parts we use, our computers last longer... meaning you are getting more bang for your buck.
If you or someone you know is ready for a new computer, please let us know. We’d be happy to make a believer out of you or them!
On a trial basis, we are going to be including 6 months of our Protect Care service with each new computer purchase!